`India needs more technicians to detect diabetes-related eye disease`
Hyderabad: India needs to train enough technicians for early detection of an eye disease associated with diabetes, as the number of patients with the ailment is expected to touch over 10 million 2030 in India, according to experts.
The disease, diabetic retinopathy (DR), may lead to loss of sight over a period, if it goes undetected.
Clare Gilbert, Professor and Co-Director, International Centre for Eye Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicines, said there are not enough ophthalmologists in India who can detect these cases in diabetic patients and hence the government and civil societies need to train technicians to detect retinopathy cases in the early stages.
"There is a need to train technicians to screen people with diabetes and retinopathy. It is not possible for the existing ophthalmologists to screen all the diabetic patients," Gilbert said at a press conference.
According to GVS Murthy, director, Indian Institute of Public Health, one out of every five diabetic patients in India suffers from retinopathy and an early detection and treatment can reduce the risk of blindness from DR by 90 per cent.
According to a study, type-2 diabetes alone affects 62.4 million people in India currently and it is estimated that this number will rise to 100 million by 2030.
"DR is a leading cause of visual impairment in India with 18 per cent of diabetics suffering from DR. Awareness of the complication in India is poor and 1/3 of the diabetics do not know about it," Murthy said.
Queen Elizabeth Diamond Jubilee Trust, in partnership with Public Health Foundation of India and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, will be hosting the 'National Diabetic Retinopathy Summit' here from April 12 to 14.
The three-day summit is aimed at developing and agreed national strategy for the prevention, detection and treatment of DR, Murthy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly