Infertility may cause mental disorders in women
London: Women who struggle with infertility but never go on to have children are likely to be hospitalised for mental health disorders, researchers have warned.
They also found a significantly higher risk for substance abuse among these women.
Brigitte Baldur-Feskov of the Danish Cancer Society Research Center in Copenhagen, and colleagues, analysed data from 98,737 Danish women who had seen a doctor about infertility between 1973 and 2003.
They determined hospital admissions for mental health disorders among these women over an average of 12.6 years, and discovered some concerning trends.
Of the total women analysed, 4677 were hospitalised with mental health problems. Of these, 2507 had not been successful in producing a child, compared with 2107 women who were able to have at least one child.
Baldur-Feskov’s analysis, which excluded any women with previous diagnoses for mental health problems, also found a significantly higher risk for subsequent drug and alcohol abuse among women who did not go on to have children after an initial fertility consultation.
Of 571 women who were treated for drug and alcohol abuse, 195 had eventually been able to have children compared with 376 who were unsuccessful.
Because the study only looked at mental health problems severe enough to warrant hospitalisation, Baldur-Feskov noted that these figures point to a larger problem.
“I think the tip of the iceberg is the most precise way to put it,” New Scientist quoted her as saying.
As well as the higher risk for substance abuse, the team noted that women who did not go on to have children were 47 per cent more likely to be hospitalised for schizophrenia than those who gave birth.
The results were presented this week at the annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology in Istanbul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared