Initial trials show promising results in stem cell treatment
Havana: About 1700 patients were treated until December, 2011, with stem cells, a treatment with promising results, according to official sources quoted by media.
Results are similar to those reached in developed countries, avoiding important amputations to patients, told to Gramma newspaper Doctor Porfirio Hernandez, coordinator of the National Group for Regenerative Medicine at the Ministry of Public Health.
According to Hernandez, the treatment is still trial phase under strict selection criteria, although 10 of the 15 Cuban provinces already receive that service.
Hernandez said that Cuba has contributed significantly to the international scientific literature in the sphere, as in the case of improvements experienced by those patients suffering from chronic Lymphedema in lower limbs.
Hernandez also mentioned the case of a minor suffering from Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), who was treated with a procedure based on stem cells, avoiding a lung transplant.
With the capacity of splitting without limits, stem cells can regenerate tissues damaged by diseases, trauma or aging.
It is mainly obtained by bone marrow, peripheral blood, cornea, brain, lung and endometrium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof