Internet addiction to be added to list of mental disorders
London: Children addicted to the internet could soon be classed as mentally ill, it has been claimed.
According to a newspaper, ``internet-use disorder`` will be included in the DSM-IV - the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - from May next year.
The diagnosis will include those who are addicted to their smartphones as well as using tablet computers or desktop machines.
Mike Kyrios from Swinburne University of Technology, who helped author the APS submission, told the publication that, once more research is invested in the disorder, it will allow health professionals to diagnose children with addictive behaviours from technology over-use, leading to the correct treatment.
“With kids, gaming is an obvious issue. But overall, technology use could be a potential problem,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers