Internet addiction to be added to list of mental disorders
London: Children addicted to the internet could soon be classed as mentally ill, it has been claimed.
According to a newspaper, ``internet-use disorder`` will be included in the DSM-IV - the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - from May next year.
The diagnosis will include those who are addicted to their smartphones as well as using tablet computers or desktop machines.
Mike Kyrios from Swinburne University of Technology, who helped author the APS submission, told the publication that, once more research is invested in the disorder, it will allow health professionals to diagnose children with addictive behaviours from technology over-use, leading to the correct treatment.
“With kids, gaming is an obvious issue. But overall, technology use could be a potential problem,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE STREAMING: West Indies vs India, 1st Test, Day 2
- ISRO to launch weather satellite next month
- WATCH: Mohammad Amir dismisses England's Alex Hales with an absolute peach of a delivery
- In Indonesia, eat sumptuous food served in a commode literally! – Must Watch
- Unbelievable! This son of a billionaire works as aam aadmi