Iron pills may help women combat fatigue
London: Taking iron supplements may help some women fight fatigue even if they are not officially anaemic, Swiss researchers have suggested.
A severe shortage of iron is the most common cause of anaemia resulting in lethargy, weakness and feeling faint.
A study of 198 women showed that iron pills might also help those with moderately low iron levels.
Taking too much iron, however, can be dangerous.
The researchers looked at reproductive age women, between 18 and 53, as menstruation is known to lower iron levels.
They said unexplained fatigue was a common problem in doctors’ surgeries, but it was as yet unknown whether iron supplements could help these women.
Nearly 200 women reporting fatigue, with no medical explanation, took part in the study.
Half were given 80mg oral iron tablets every day, while half were given sugar pills.
Medical “fatigue scores” were recorded before treatment and after 12 weeks of taking the medication.
“We found that iron supplementation for 12 weeks decreased fatigue [scores] by 50 percent,” the BBC quoted Dr Bernard Favrat from the University of Lausanne in Switzerland, as saying.
“Iron deficiency may be an under-recognised cause of fatigue in women of child-bearing age.
“For women with unexplained, prolonged fatigue, iron deficiency should be considered,” he said.
Rick Miller, a spokesman for the British Dietetic Association, warned that taking too much iron could result in major organ failure.
“First and foremost, fatigue is multifactorial - it’s never just one root cause or micronutrient,” he said.
He further said that fatigue was not fully understood and other factors such as exercise diet and sleep patterns played a role.
“I think the study has some validity, but taking everything into consideration is key” he added.
The study is published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested