Latur, Ahmedpur, Kej region emerging as `kidney stone belt`
Mumbai: Areas adjoining Latur, Ahmedpur, Kej, Kalamb and Ambajogai in Marathwada are fast becoming the "kideny stone belt" region, a leading urologist has said.
"There has been a drastic increase in kidney stone patients from these areas, specially during the last month," Latur-based urologist Dr Hansraj Baheti said.
The gravity of the situation is so serious that on a single day, the Baheti hospital in Latur received 22 cases of kidney stone, he said.
Baheti Hospital, along with social organisations Madhyam and Samaj Bharati, have distributed over 50,000 pamphlets in these areas, mentioning the precautions to be taken to avoid sunstroke and kidney stones.
"Drink plenty of water is what we tell people," Baheti said. During the scorching summer heat, people should drink large amount of water at regular intervals, he added.
A major reason for formation of kidney stones is dehydration. Drinking bore well water is also a key contributor to these cases, Baheti said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’