Laugh out loud to improve short-term memory
Washington: A new study has revealed that laughter can improve short-term memory and makes the brain work better in older adults.
The research conducted by Loma Linda University in Southern California made 20 normal, healthy, older adults watched a funny video distraction-free for 20 minutes and found that those who got to laugh the 20 minutes away with the funny video scored better on short-term memory tests, ABC News reported.
The research also found that people who laughed had decreased level of the stress hormone cortisol, which is an enemy of memory.
Dr. Gurinder S. Bains said that the learning ability and delayed recall become more challenging as people age and laughing with friends or even watching 20 minutes of humor on TV helps to cope with daily stressors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer