`Low-cost pain killer can wipe out drug resistant TB`
Washington: A low-cost drug, which is widely used as a pain killer in developing countries, can kill drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) -- a feat few currently approved TB drugs can accomplish, say researchers.
Weill Cornell Medical College researchers point to a potential new therapy for the more than half million people worldwide whose TB has become resistant to standard drug treatments.
But their main worry is that the effective drug, oxyphenbutazone, may never be tested in TB clinical trials.
Weill Cornell`s Carl Nathan and his team found what they called the "completely surprising" ability of oxyphenbutazone to kill drug-resistant TB after testing thousands of approved drugs against the bacteria.
This repurposing of the agent already in the market can lead to quicker testing for its new uses, the Publication of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
"This agent might help save lives if there were a way to test it in (sic) TB patients," says Nathan.
Oxyphenbutazone, best known by its trademark name of Tandearil, was introduced in the market as a patented drug for arthritis-like pain in the early 1950s, and lost its patent and market dominance by the 1970s, according to a Weill Cornell statement.
"It is difficult today to launch clinical studies on a medication that is so outdated in the United States, that it is mainly used here in veterinary medicine to ease pain," says senior study author Nathan, professor of microbiology.
"No drug firm will pay for clinical trials if they don`t expect to make a profit on the agent. And that would be the case for an off-patent drug that people can buy over the counter for pain in most of the world," Nathan adds.
He says that oxyphenbutazone does have some established toxicities, "and is not a drug you should take for aches and pains if a safer alternative is available".
But the drug`s major toxicities appear to be less frequent than the major side-effects of the drug regimens that are currently used to treat TB, he says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!