Maharashtra to set up day care chemotherapy centres in rural areas
Mumbai: To fight cancer effectively, the Maharashtra government will set up day care chemotherapy centres in rural parts of the state, Health Minister Suresh Shetty today told the state Legislative Council.
During the first phase, these centres will be opened in seven districts of Vidarbha region.
"We have decided to set up day care chemotherapy centres in rural parts of the state. In the first phase by June this year, these centres will be operational in seven districts of Vidarbha region," Shetty said.
A pilot project in this regard has already been started in Amravati district, he said.
The minister was replying to the issue raised by Congress MLC Sanjay Dutt who said that there were no day care chemotherapy centres in rural areas of Maharashtra.
Also, Dutt and party MLC Subhash Chavan, during Question hour, alleged that the state government has failed to start generic drug stores due to lack of public awareness.
Chavan said that while some states have already started generic drug stores, Maharashtra has failed to implement the scheme launched by the Centre four years ago. He also sought to know the steps taken by the government to implement the scheme.
In reply, Minister of State for Health Fauzia Khan told the House that the health department has started purchasing generic drugs and all government and civic hospitals are being provided these medicines.
"To set up generic medicine stores, the state has sent a proposal to the Centre seeking fund of Rs 57.80 lakh," Khan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!