Malaria remains a major threat, says expert
New Delhi: Malaria has been eradicated in North America but the region is not immune to the disease yet.
This is because North America is still home to the vector which is the female anopheles mosquito, an expert said here Friday.
This means that there could be small outbreaks of malaria if somebody infected with the disease from the endemic parts of the world visits such regions, Amit Sharma of Italy`s International Centre for Genetics and Biotechnology said.
Sharma said malaria was one of the biggest killers of children in Africa.
The problem, he said, is so severe in Africa that 50 percent of children who have been afflicted with malaria and survived will have seizures while around 10 percent will have neurological problems throughout life.
Unlike common perception, the disease is not limited to the tropical areas, Sharma said.
The malarial parasite has become resistant to most drugs within years of introduction. Thus the only available option is to treat the disease with multi-drug therapy, the expert added.
He said that although research was on for vaccination against the disease, the best preventive method was using medicated mosquito nets.
According to him, global warming was contributing directly to malaria as the parasite develops in warmer climate.
Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease caused by plasmodium. It begins with a bite from an infected female anopheles mosquito.
Malaria causes symptoms that typically include fever and headache, which in severe cases can progress to coma or death.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed