Men develop diabetes at lower BMI than women
London: A new study has revealed that men apparently develop type 2 diabetes with less weight gain than women.
The study, carried out by academics at Glasgow University, found that men developed the disease at a lower Body Mass Index (BMI) as compared to women.
Lead researcher Professor Naveed Sattar, of the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, said being overweight was a major risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes. Other factors were age, ethnicity and genetics.
“Previous research has indicated that middle-aged men are at a higher risk of developing diabetes than women and one possible explanation is that men have to gain less weight than women to develop the condition,” the Scotsman quoted him as saying.
“In other words, men appear to be at higher risk for diabetes,” he added.
Researchers analysed data collected from 51,920 men and 43,137 women in Scotland with diabetes.
The found mean BMI at diabetes diagnosis in men was 31.83, but 33.69 in women and the difference was most marked at younger ages.
Prof Sattar said the reasons women might develop diabetes later than men could be linked to fat distribution, as men carried more fat around their stomach and liver.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know