Men develop diabetes at lower BMI than women
London: A new study has revealed that men apparently develop type 2 diabetes with less weight gain than women.
The study, carried out by academics at Glasgow University, found that men developed the disease at a lower Body Mass Index (BMI) as compared to women.
Lead researcher Professor Naveed Sattar, of the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences, said being overweight was a major risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes. Other factors were age, ethnicity and genetics.
“Previous research has indicated that middle-aged men are at a higher risk of developing diabetes than women and one possible explanation is that men have to gain less weight than women to develop the condition,” the Scotsman quoted him as saying.
“In other words, men appear to be at higher risk for diabetes,” he added.
Researchers analysed data collected from 51,920 men and 43,137 women in Scotland with diabetes.
The found mean BMI at diabetes diagnosis in men was 31.83, but 33.69 in women and the difference was most marked at younger ages.
Prof Sattar said the reasons women might develop diabetes later than men could be linked to fat distribution, as men carried more fat around their stomach and liver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH