Migraine ups risk of depression in women
Washington: Women who have migraine or have had them in the past are more likely to develop depression compared to those who have never had migraine, say researchers.
For the study, researchers classified 36,154 women without depression who were enrolled in the Women’s Health Study and had provided information about migraine.
Women were classified as either having active migraine with aura, active migraine without aura, past history of migraine (but not within the last year) or no history of migraine. Women also provided information about diagnoses of depression.
A total of 6,456 women had current or past migraine. During an average 14 years of follow-up, 3,971 of the women developed depression.
Women with any history of migraine were about 40 percent more likely to develop depression than women without a history of migraine.
The results were the same regardless if a woman had migraine with aura, which involves visual disturbances that appear as flashing lights, zigzag lines or a temporary loss of vision.
“This is one of the first large studies to examine the association between migraine and the development of depression over time,” said Tobias Kurth, MD, ScD, with Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and Inserm in France and a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
“We hope our findings will encourage doctors to speak to their migraine patients about the risk of depression and potential ways to prevent depression,” Kurth added.
The study that has been just released will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology’s 64th Annual Meeting in New Orleans April 21 to April 28, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM