Moderate alcohol consumption fuels risk of atrial fibrillation
Washington: A new research has shown that the moderate consumption of wine and hard liquor alcohol might be associated with increased risk for atrial fibrillation, an abnormally fast heartbeat that can lead to stroke, heart failure and dementia.
The study found that an association between high alcohol consumption, defined as more than three drinks per day, and increased risk for atrial fibrillation and a strong association with binge drinking.
Susanna C. Larsson, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Unit of Nutritional Epidemiology, Institute of Environmental Medicine at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm said that while many studies had shown that light to moderate alcohol consumption could have positive outcomes on the heart, such as reducing ischemic heart disease and stroke, it was important to balance these benefits against the potential risk of developing atrial fibrillation.
Larsson added that they had no explanation for the lack of association with beer consumption and it was likely that beer was consumed more regularly during the week, whereas wine and liquor was more often consumed during weekends only. Adverse effects of alcohol on atrial fibrillation risk may be less pronounced if alcohol consumption was spread out over the week compared with consumption of larger amounts of alcohol during a few days per week.
The study is published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened