Modified `smallpox vaccine` virus triples liver cancer survival time
London: The virus used in the vaccine that helped eradicate smallpox is offering new hope to liver cancer patients.
Researchers have found that a genetically engineered version of the vaccinia virus tripled the average survival time of people with a severe form of liver cancer, with only mild, flu-like side effects, according to the New Scientist.
Thirty people with hepatocellular carcinoma received three doses of the modified virus - code-named JX-594 - directly into their liver tumour over one month. Half the volunteers received a low dose of the virus, the other half a high dose.
Results showed that members of the low and high-dose groups subsequently survived for, on average, 6.7 and 14.1 months respectively.
Two of the patients on the highest viral dose were still alive more than two years after the treatment.
As well as shrinking the primary tumour, the virus was able to spread to and shrink any secondary tumours outside the liver.
"Some tumours disappeared completely, and most showed partial destruction on MRI scans," noted David Kirn, head of the study at Jennerex. Moreover, the destruction was equally dramatic in the primary and secondary tumours.
The fact that the virus appears able to spread to secondary tumours suggests that simply injecting the virus into the bloodstream may be effective.
A trial to compare this treatment with injecting the virus directly into a tumour is under way.
Fischer said that until now, more than 200 people have received the virus, which has also shown promise against other types of cancer, including those of the kidney and skin.
But he warns that not everyone sees a benefit.
"We know why patients respond, but not why they don`t," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!