Mysterious polio-like disease reported in California
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Los Angeles: As many as 20 kids have been affected by a mysterious polio-like syndrome in California since 2012, leaving them with paralysed limbs.
The state public health officials and physicians have been investigating the illness since a doctor recommended a polio testing for a child with severe paralysis in 2012, reports The Los Angeles Times.
Dr Carol Glaser, leader of a California Department of Public Health team investigating the illnesses said that a virus may be behind the disease, which is occurring sporadically throughout the state.
Symptoms have ranged from restricted movement in one limb to severe weakness in both legs and arms, and sometimes a mild respiratory illness.
Glaser said two of the affected kids tested positive for enterovirus-68, a virus that is usually associated with respiratory illness but which has been linked to polio-like illnesses as well.
Dr. Keith Van Haren, a paediatric neurologist at Stanford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital who has worked with Glaser's team, will present the cases of five of the children at the American Academy of Neurology's upcoming annual meeting in Philadelphia.
He said all five patients had paralysis in one or more arms or legs that reached its full severity within two days. None had recovered limb function after six months.
"We know definitively that it isn't polio," Van Haren added, noting that all had been vaccinated against that disease.
While the infection remains rare, doctors say they do not expect an epidemic of the polio-like virus.
Polio is a highly infectious disease caused by a virus, mainly affecting children under the age of five. It invades the nervous system and can cause total paralysis in a matter of hours.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata