Natural killer cells can treat leukemia in kids
New York: In a first, researchers have shown that select immune-system cells from young patients with leukemia can be multiplied in the lab - creating an army of natural killer (NK) cells that can be used to destroy cancer cells.
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is the most common cancer of childhood.
This disease hinders the development of healthy blood cells while cancer cells proliferate.
“In our study, we used NK cells and ALL cells from the same pediatric patients. We found that autologous natural killer cells will destroy the patient's leukemia cells," claimed Nora Heisterkamp from the Saban Research Institute of Children's Hospital in Los Angeles.
To help the NK cells identify their target as leukemia cells, researchers also added a monoclonal antibody.
Researchers can design and produce antibodies called monoclonal antibodies (mAb) that specifically target a certain protein like the ones found on cancer cells.
“These results are very promising - with potential as a part of first line therapy and also as a treatment for eliminating any remaining cancer cells following standard chemotherapy,” added ao-author Hisham Abdel-Azim from Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
The findings, published in the journal Leukemia, could one day provide a less toxic and more effective way to battle this cancer in children, researchers concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra