New antioxidant may prevent and cure cataracts
Washington: Scientists claim to have developed a new antioxidant that could prevent and even cure cataracts, macular degeneration and other eye disorders.
Researchers, led by Dr Nuran Ercal at Missouri University of Science and Technology are studying eye drops prepared with the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine amide (NACA) as a treatment for these eye conditions.
Ercal says NACA is an improvement over another experimental treatment, the antioxidant N-acetylcysteine (NAC), because it passes more easily across cell membranes, allowing the medication to be used in lower doses.
"NACA`s characteristics as a drug were improved over NAC by neutralizing the carboxylic group of NAC, which makes the NACA pass cellular membranes easily," says Ercal.
"And because NACA can be administered at a lower dose, the drug has a greater therapeutic index and lowers the risk of side effects traditionally associated with NAC.
"NACA is also an excellent source of glutathione, a cell`s main antioxidant power, which is diminished during degenerative eye disorders," she said in a statement.
Vision loss from age-related eye disorders affects more than 30 million people in the US and is expected to double in the coming decades, Ercal said.
"NACA eye drops could drastically reduce these costs and represent an alternative to costly surgery, while greatly improving the quality of life for those afflicted," said Ercal.
Ercal and her team have been testing NACA on HIV-related problems, lead poisoning and other toxicities for 10 years. About four years ago they began testing it on eye disorders.
"The NACA solution prevented cataracts from forming," says Ercal.
Ercal says further testing will help establish appropriate dosage and frequency, as well as possible side effects and other factors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress