New cancer drug shows promise for treating deadly disease
Washington: A new study has presented very promising results for the treatment of the cancer form multiple myeloma.
Multiple myeloma is a life-threatening disease and there is a dire medical need for new therapies, especially for the patients whose tumour cells have become resistant to the conventional drugs.
Professor Stig Linder at Karolinska Institutet's Department of Oncology-Pathology, said that the discovery that their substance works on multiple myeloma cells resistant to conventional therapy is very promising for the future.
The study demonstrates that the drug candidate, called VLX1570, inhibits tumour growth and prolongs survival in preclinical multiple myeloma models.
The exact mechanism of action of the substance was identified earlier at Karolinska Institutet (Nature Medicine, 2011); put simply, the tumour cells can be said to be more sensitive than normal cells to disruption to the machinery that breaks down defective proteins.
When this machinery is blocked, it triggers apoptosis (programmed cell death) in the tumour cells.
Professor Linder said that they have shown that the drug candidate kills multiple myeloma cells from cancer patients, adding that the substance is also effective against myeloma cells that have developed a resistance to the clinically used drug bortezomib.
The study has been published in the journal Blood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview