New cancer risk gene found
Melbourne: A new cancer risk gene has been discovered which explains the early-onset in some multiple-case breast cancer families.
The international team of investigators led by the University of Melbourne, identified rare mutations in the RINT1 gene to increase risk of breast and many other cancers.
"This discovery will assist some more women learn the genetic explanation for their breast cancer risk and which of their family members are at high risk of developing cancer. Currently only about 35 per cent of the familial risk for breast cancer has been explained," Professor Melissa Southey from the University's Department of Pathology, said.
"Although mutations in RINT1 are rare, it is most likely that the remaining unknown breast cancer susceptibility genes will account for similar small proportions of the disease," said co-researcher Dr Daniel Park.
Rare mutations in RINT1 were identified in three of 49 families participating in a multiple-case breast cancer family study. The study applied the latest technology to search for unidentified breast cancer susceptibility genes.
The researchers then assessed the association between RINT1 mutations and breast cancer risk by conducting a population-based case-control study that identified 23 mutation carriers in a sample of 1,313 women diagnosed with early-onset breast cancer and only 6 mutation carriers in 1,123 unaffected women, demonstrating a significant association between mutations in RINT1 and risk of early onset breast cancer.
Further research included testing an additional 684 affected women from multiple-case breast cancer families for RINT1 mutations and six additional families were found to carry mutations in RINT1.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know