New discovery could lead to more effective flu drugs
Toronto: A discovery could spur a new generation of drugs that would be more effective against the flu virus than current drugs.
The new class of molecular compounds, developed by Simon Fraser University virologist Masahiro Niikura and his doctoral student Nicole Bance, will help develop drugs that the flu virus` strains can`t adapt to, and resist, as easily as Tamiflu, which is becoming less effective against the constantly mutating virus.
Their study reveals how to use their newly-discovered compounds to interrupt the enzyme neuraminidase`s facilitation of the flu`s spread, reports the journal Science Express.
Tamiflu and another flu drug, Relenza, focus on interrupting neuraminidase`s ability to help flu virus detach from an infected cell`s surface by digesting sialic acid, a sugar on the cell surface.
The virus uses the same sugar to stick to the cell while invading it. Once attached, influenza can invade the cell and replicate.
This is where the newly-discovered compounds come to the still-healthy cells` rescue. They clog up neuraminidase, stopping the enzyme from dissolving the sialic acid, which prevents the virus from escaping the infected cell and spreading, according to a Simon Fraser statement.
The new compounds are also more effective because they are water-soluble. "They reach the patient`s throat where the flu virus is replicating after being taken orally," says Niikura, associate professor.
"Influenza develops resistance to Replenza less frequently, but it`s not the drug of choice like Tamiflu because it`s not water-soluble and has to be taken as a nasal spray.
"Our new compounds are structurally more similar to sialic acid than Tamiflu. We expect this closer match will make it much more difficult for influenza to adapt to new drugs," adds Niikura.
Ultimately, the new compounds will buy scientists more time to develop new vaccines for emerging strains of influenza that are resistant to existing vaccines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack