New hope for Parkinson`s disease sufferers
Washington: Researchers have made a significant discovery that could pave the way for a new treatment for Parkinson`s disease.
The findings focus on an enzyme known as parkin, whose absence causes an early-onset form of Parkinson`s disease.
Precisely how the loss of this enzyme leads to the deaths of neurons has been unclear.
But The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) researchers showed that parkin`s loss sharply reduces the level of another protein that normally helps protect neurons from stress.
"We now have a good model for how parkin loss can lead to the deaths of neurons under stress," TSRI Professor Steven I. Reed, who was senior author of the new study, said.
"This also suggests a therapeutic strategy that might work against Parkinson`s and other neurodegenerative diseases," he said.
Parkin belongs to a family of enzymes called ubiquitin ligases, whose main function is to regulate the levels of other proteins.
They do so principally by "tagging" their protein targets with ubiquitin molecules, thus marking them for disposal by roving protein-breakers in cells known as proteasomes.
Because parkin is a ubiquitin ligase, researchers have assumed that its absence allows some other protein or proteins to evade proteasomal destruction and thus accumulate abnormally and harm neurons.
The research is published online in the journal Molecular and Cell Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends