New prostate cancer drug can extend life by 5 months
London: Scientists have discovered a new drug which they say can add an extra five months to life of men with advanced prostate cancer when chemotherapy fails.
British researchers found in trials that men taking the drug `enzalutamide` survived for more than 18 months compared with less than 14 months for those on a placebo, a newspaper reported.
Almost half of those receiving the new drug had a better quality of life.
Enzalutamide, which was developed by British scientists at the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) and the Royal Marsden Hospital, in London, is one of four discoveries in the past two years that significantly extend life.
"Advanced prostate cancer is extremely difficult to treat, and it`s taken a massive co-ordinated effort to finally bring new drugs into the pipeline, after decades where there were no options once old-style hormone treatment stopped working," Professor Alan Ashworth, chief executive of the ICR, said.
In the study nearly 1,200 patients were given enzalutamide following chemotherapy. Survival for those taking the new drug was 18.4 months on average, compared with 13.6 months for those on a placebo.
About 43 per cent of men on enzalutamide reported an improved quality of life, compared with 18 per cent of the placebo group.
The drug could be licensed for use by British patients early next year. The cost is not yet known.
The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset