New radiation therapy puts cancer into remission
Washington: Researchers at University of Missouri have developed a new form of radiation therapy that successfully puts cancer into remission in mice.
This innovative treatment produced none of the harmful side-effects of conventional chemo and radiation cancer therapies.
Clinical trials in humans could begin soon after the team led by Professor M. Frederick Hawthorne secures funding.
"Since the 1930s, scientists have sought success with a cancer treatment known as boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT)," Hawthorne, a recent winner of the National Medal of Science awarded by President Obama in the White House, said.
"Our team at MU`s International Institute of Nano and Molecular Medicine finally found the way to make BNCT work by taking advantage of a cancer cell`s biology with nanochemistry," he said.
Cancer cells grow faster than normal cells and in the process absorb more materials than normal cells.
Hawthorne`s team took advantage of that fact by getting cancer cells to take in and store a boron chemical designed by Hawthorne.
When those boron-infused cancer cells were exposed to neutrons, a subatomic particle, the boron atom shattered and selectively tore apart the cancer cells, sparing neighboring healthy cells.
The physical properties of boron made Hawthorne`s technique possible. A particular form of boron will split when it captures a neutron and release lithium, helium and energy.
Like pool balls careening around a billiards table, the helium and lithium atoms penetrate the cancer cell and destroy it from the inside without harming the surrounding tissues.
The study is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference