New radiation therapy puts cancer into remission
Washington: Researchers at University of Missouri have developed a new form of radiation therapy that successfully puts cancer into remission in mice.
This innovative treatment produced none of the harmful side-effects of conventional chemo and radiation cancer therapies.
Clinical trials in humans could begin soon after the team led by Professor M. Frederick Hawthorne secures funding.
"Since the 1930s, scientists have sought success with a cancer treatment known as boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT)," Hawthorne, a recent winner of the National Medal of Science awarded by President Obama in the White House, said.
"Our team at MU`s International Institute of Nano and Molecular Medicine finally found the way to make BNCT work by taking advantage of a cancer cell`s biology with nanochemistry," he said.
Cancer cells grow faster than normal cells and in the process absorb more materials than normal cells.
Hawthorne`s team took advantage of that fact by getting cancer cells to take in and store a boron chemical designed by Hawthorne.
When those boron-infused cancer cells were exposed to neutrons, a subatomic particle, the boron atom shattered and selectively tore apart the cancer cells, sparing neighboring healthy cells.
The physical properties of boron made Hawthorne`s technique possible. A particular form of boron will split when it captures a neutron and release lithium, helium and energy.
Like pool balls careening around a billiards table, the helium and lithium atoms penetrate the cancer cell and destroy it from the inside without harming the surrounding tissues.
The study is published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide