New software promises early diagnosis of Alzheimer`s
Washington: Scientists have developed new software that could significantly boost the early diagnosis of Alzheimer`s disease.
The comparative software called PredictAD contrasts patient`s measurements with those of other patients kept in large databases, then visualises the status of the patient with an index and graphics.
The support system and imaging methods were developed by VTT Technical Research Centre in Finland and Imperial College London, `Gizmag` reported.
Researchers used material compiled in the US by the Alzheimer`s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative based on the records of 288 patients with memory problems.
Nearly half of them were diagnosed with Alzheimer`s disease on average 21 months after the initial measurements, which is about the same as the current European average of 20 months.
Researchers concluded that half of the patients could have been diagnosed with the disease around a year earlier, or nine months after the initial measurements. They say the accuracy of the predictions was comparable to clinical diagnosis.
There are several advantages of an early diagnosis of Alzheimer`s. It can delay institutionalisation and slow down the progress of the disease.
It is also advantageous from the clinical trials perspective because if patients caught early can be included in the trials, treatment is likely to be more effective.
Working towards the same goal, researchers at Lancaster University in the UK recently developed an eye test method to detect early signs of Alzheimer`s.
An estimated 35.6 people live with dementia worldwide, and that number is expected to rise to 65.7 million by 2030, according to 2010 figures.
The study findings were published in the Journal of Alzheimer`s Disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends