New tests can detect Alzheimer`s years before symptoms appear
London: A combination of brain scans and memory tests can spot the earliest stages of Alzheimer`s, helping those who are at a risk of developing the condition.
The tests will help treat potential sufferers from few remedies are available to minimise its devastating effects, the Daily Express reported.
Experts believe that the key to tackle Alzheimer`s, which is an incurable condition, lies in early detection, when treatment is more effective.
Researchers at Harvard Medical School led by Dr Dorene Rentz, associate professor of neurology, gave two different types of scan to 129 people over 65 with no cognitive problems and carried out a series of tests of memory and thinking skills.
One of the scans was designed to measure glucose metabolism, a marker of brain activity, while the second scan was used to detect how much amyloid - a highly toxic protein that builds up in the brain during Alzheimer`s - was present.
The researchers found that those with worse memory scores had more amyloid and less brain activity, thus suggesting that these people may be at a higher risk of developing the disease.
The research is due to be presented at a conference in Boston.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India