New `wonder` malaria vaccine may be too pricey for success
Washington: A researcher has said that a promising new malaria vaccine being tested by GlaxoSmithKline is a step in the right direction, but much more economical methods are needed.
Laura Harrington, professor of entomology at Cornell University and an expert in global health and epidemiology, said that despite a resurgence in the global effort to fight malaria, the war on this deadly mosquito borne infection has overwhelmed scientists, policy makers, and government officials alike.
She said that major challenges, like behavioral and biochemical resistance by malaria vectors, and the flood of fake antimalarial drugs in the marketplace have all taken their toll.
Harrington asserted that the world's first successful malaria vaccine is almost within reach. A malaria vaccine has long been viewed as the 'holy grail of tropical medicine.'
Although the GlaxoSmithKline RTS vaccine doesn't protect all immunized children - only a 46 percent reduction in malaria incidence for children 5 to 17 months, and 27 percent for those 6 to 12 weeks of age - it is better than no vaccine, and it could be used together with other strategies like vector control to reduce malaria illness and mortality.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!