`Novel` compound helps exploit Achilles` heel in TB bacterium
Washington: Researchers have used a novel compound to exploit an Achilles' heel in the bacterium that causes tuberculosis.
In a series of laboratory experiments, the researchers have shown that it is possible to kill Mycobacterium tuberculosis by inhibiting ClpP, a cellular enzyme that is not targeted by any antibacterial drug on the market.
Lead researcher Jason Sello, associate professor of chemistry at Brown University, said that ClpP has emerged over the last decade or so as a potential drug target in bacteria because they require it to either live or to cause disease.
He said that their findings indicate that chemical inhibition of the essential ClpP enzyme in Mycobacterium tuberculosis is a viable strategy in anti-tuberculosis drug development.
It degrades and eliminates proteins inside the cell that are misfolded, damaged, or have outlived their usefulness. While ClpP is dispensable in most bacteria, previous research has shown that it is absolutely essential for the viability of M. tuberculosis.
When the gene that makes the protein is knocked out of the bacterium's genome, the organism cannot survive.
The paper has been published online by journal ACS Chemical Biology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!