Now, psychotherapy to treat skin diseases
London: Scientists have discovered that a range of psychological treatments like meditation can ease the physical symptoms of skin diseases.
According to experts at the University of Sheffield, relaxation sessions, meditation and cognitive behaviour therapy were among the techniques found to help sufferers of psoriasis, eczema, acne and the pigment disorder vitiligo.
A team from the university`s psychology department analysed the combined results of previous studies and found that the emerging field of `psychodermatology` provided real benefits, the `Telegraph` reported.
"It has long been accepted that psychological interventions can help patients deal with the emotional impact of their skin diseases," said Deborah Mason of the British Association of Dermatologists.
"But for the first time, this shows that they can also improve the physical symptoms," Mason said.
The findings on more than 900 participants in 22 studies, researchers noted that psychological therapies aimed at reversing bad habits had the largest effect, particularly helping patients modify behaviour to deal with itching and scratching.
They found that cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), which works on changing negative thought patterns, also had a sizeable effect on symptoms.
However, the experts found that psychological intervention was less effective the older a patient was, underlining the need for medical staff to tailor therapies when treating older sufferers.
The psychologists `meta-analysis` also discovered that group therapy appeared to be as effective as one-to-one treatment, but they said timely follow-up `booster sessions` may be needed to cement early improvements in symptoms.
The study was published in the British Journal of Dermatology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today