Now, simple jab could bring relief to millions of arthritis sufferers
Washington: A powerful injection delivered directly into arthritic joints could cut pain levels for millions of sufferers.
Scientists have found a way to stop nerve cells in diseased joints sensing pain - without any side effects.
They say their discovery could drastically cut the number of knee and hip replacements performed in Britain each year - currently around 160,000, and costing the NHS almost 200 million pounds.
Scientists from the Arthritis Research UK Pain Centre at Nottingham University targeted a nerve cell pain receptor called TRPV1.
Previous trials on osteoarthritis patients showed their pain could be cut by blocking the receptor using drugs called TRPV1 antagonists. But the patients experienced the side effect of hyperthermia - overheating of the body - apparently in their digestive organs.
Neuroscience lecturer Dr Sara Kelly explained that the Nottingham team used a model of osteoarthritis pain to see if using the drugs within the joint itself would work better.
Dr Kelly said that by targeting the joint directly they did not see the side effect of hyperthermia.
The study is published in the journal Annals Of The Rheumatic Diseases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow