Now, single jab to lower cholesterol levels by almost two-third
London: A new jab that offers hope to millions to lower their cholesterol by almost two-third has been successfully tested in patients.
The breakthrough drug could revolutionise treatment for heart disease and stroke and could help save millions of lives a year.
The ALN-PCS injection can be given as an alternative for the one in five people who cannot take statins - the current gold-standard cholesterol-lowering drugs.
But, in what marks a revolutionary new treatment option, the drug could be given in combination with a statin to produce even greater effects at cutting the artery-clogging fats.
Professor Peter Weissberg, the British Heart Foundation's medical director, said that people with extremely high cholesterol are at increased risk of a heart attack, and this approach could offer hope for those who are resistant to statins.
He said that these results add to growing evidence that blocking the action of a certain protein can dramatically lower 'bad' LDL cholesterol.
More research is now needed to confirm this approach is both safe and effective at preventing heart attacks in the long term before it becomes widely available, he said.
The results are published in The Lancet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India