Obesity may up migraine risk
Washington: Being overweight may increase a person's risk of suffering from migraines, a new study has warned.
Obese people are 81 per cent more likely to have episodic migraines as compared to those of normal weight, researchers found.
Episodic migraines, defined as 14 or fewer migraine headaches per month, are more common than chronic migraines which occur at least 15 days per month.
US researchers found that people who get occasional migraines are more likely to be obese than people who do not have migraines.
"Previous studies have shown a link between people with chronic migraine and obesity, but the research has been conflicting on whether that link existed for those with less frequent attacks," said study author B Lee Peterlin, of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.
"As obesity is a risk factor that can potentially be modified and since some medications for migraine can lead to weight gain or loss, this is important information for people with migraine and their doctors," Peterlin said.
For the study, 3,862 people with an average age of 47 filled out surveys with information on height, weight and migraines.
A total of 1,044 participants were obese and 188 of the participants had occasional or episodic migraine.
"These results suggest that doctors should promote healthy lifestyle choices for diet and exercise in people with episodic migraine," Peterlin said.
"More research is needed to evaluate whether weight loss programmes can be helpful in overweight and obese people with episodic migraine," Peterlin said.
Peterlin added that the results also indicate that the link between episodic migraine and obesity is stronger in those under the age of 50, the years when migraine is most prevalent, as compared to people older than 50.
The study was published in Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!