Obesity related death risk increases with age
Washington: A new study found that the risk of death due to obesity increases as individuals grow older, despite past findings that predict a weaker association.
Researchers reviewed data from the National Health Interview Survey linked to the National Death Index to understand the association between obesity and early adult mortality.
The sample included survey respondents between the ages of 40 and 84.9.
The study uniquely accounted for not only the age of the respondent, but also the period in which they were observed and the birth cohort that they were a member of.
Results indicated that obesity accounts for more US deaths in recent birth cohorts than for earlier ones. Furthermore, the impact of high body mass index on mortality risk was found to increase as individuals grew older.
The study is published in the American Journal of Public Health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'