`Omega-3 fatty acids act against liver disease in obese`
Washington: An omega-3 fatty acid counteracts the effect of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), afflicting 75 percent of the obese, says a new study.
The American Liver Foundation estimates that about 25 percent of the US population and 75 percent of the obese have NAFLD. This early-stage health condition can sometimes progress to more serious, even fatal diseases, including non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, or NASH.
NASH is a progressive form of liver disease linked with chronic inflammation and oxidative stress, resulting from excess fat storage in the liver. Chronic inflammation can eventually lead to cirrhosis, a major risk factor for liver cancer, the Journal of Nutrition reports.
The Oregon State University (OSU) research is one of the first to directly compare the effects of two of the omega-3 fatty acids, often cited for their nutritional value DHA and EPA found in cold water fish, on diseased liver.
These polyunsaturated fats play a very vital role in the functioning of our bodies including the brain and retina, according to an OSU statement.
OSU researchers found that EPA had comparatively little effect on preventing the fibrosis, or scarring, associated with NASH. But DHA supplementation reduced the proteins involved in liver fibrosis by more than 65 percent.
"A reduction of that magnitude in the actual scarring and damage to the liver is very important," said Donald Jump, principal investigator with the Linus Pauling Institute at OSU.
"Many clinical trials are being done with omega-3 fatty acids related to liver disease," said Jump.
"Our studies may represent the first to specifically compare the capacity of EPA versus DHA to prevent NASH. It appears that DHA, which can also be converted to EPA in the human body, is one of the most valuable for this purpose."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata