`Only two in 100 aware of Aphasia`
Toronto: Only two of 100 people are aware of aphasia - a condition characterised either by partial or total loss of speech or the capacity to write. It affects a third of stroke victims, a Canadian study says.
Aphasia occurs when there is stroke damage to language and communication centres in the brain. It does not affect intelligence but can leave people unable to express themselves, find their words and respond when spoken to.
Thirty community volunteers trained by the York-Durham Aphasia Centre, a March of Dimes Canada programme, collaborated with researchers from two Ontario universities in a survey of 832 adults in southern Ontario.
They found that only two percent of respondents could correctly identify aphasia as a communication disorder affecting the ability to speak, understand, read or write, according to a statement of York-Durham Aphasia Centre.
"Aphasia is poorly understood," says neurologist Michael Hill, co-chairman of the Canadian Stroke Congress. "The sudden loss of language after a stroke creates huge challenges for individuals and their families." As many as 100,000 Canadians are living with chronic aphasia.
"About one third of all people who have strokes experience some degree of aphasia but despite this high prevalence, it just doesn`t get much attention," says Rick Berry, project coordinator, who worked with clinical coordinator and speech-language pathologist Ruth Patterson on the survey.
"We wanted to gather some Canadian data to compare with surveys that have been done in other countries," adds Berry.
These findings were presented at the Canadian Stroke Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel and Power Ltd, 3 officials convicted
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Massive relief for Central government employees; 7th Pay Commission notification issued
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many Christians, Hindus to Islam?
- REVEALED: How Virat Kohli motivated team on the field - Here's what stump mic picked up
- Katrina Kaif in her little 'Twilight' zone with Robert Pattinson! Pic inside
- Chinese demolitions at Buddhist institute draw fire