Oz researchers claim to find cure for Type 1 diabetes
Melbourne: Australian researchers have claimed to have made a breakthrough which could lead to treating the Type 1 diabetes patients.
According to ABC report, scientists at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute said they have identified stem cells in the adult pancreas and converted them into insulin-producing cells.
They discovered the cells continued to function when they were transplanted into mice.
Professor Len Harrison of the institute said that the finding has the potential to cure the disease.
"This means that the potential to regenerate insulin-producing cells in someone with Type 1 diabetes is there. It`s a question of working out how to make that happen in order to reverse or cure it," he said.
Harrison said suppressing the immune system`s response to the new cells is pivotal.
"There can really be no cure for Type 1 diabetes, even with stem cells, even under the most ideal conditions unless the immune system is prevented from seeing them as foreign and attacking them," he said.
Prevention of Type 1 diabetes is very fundamental to its cure, the researcher added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what