Pneumonia risk factors higher in modern urban apartment
Beijing: A recent study in China has found that the risk factors of pneumonia are still higher in modern cities.
The report, which was a part of the China, Child, Home and Health (CCHH) project, has defied the old belief that the deadly disease is caused by the use of coal or wood as cooking fuel, especially in rural areas.
This study investigated the association between childhood pneumonia and indoor environment factors in modern homes.
It suggests that lack of ventilation, gas as cooking fuel, dampness, new furniture, "modern" floor and wall covering materials showed significant associations with the incidence of pneumonia.
Other factors such as family allergy, childcare by non-parents, and other respiratory diseases were also reported to be associated with pneumonia. In summary, modern life style and home environment play an important role in developing pneumonia infections among children in Nanjing
Total 6461 questionnaires were distributed and 4014 properly filled-out questionnaires were returned, giving a response rate of 65.7%. The response rate was 61.8%, 68.4% and 82.0% for kindergartens in urban, suburban, and industrial areas respectively.
Statistical analysis was conducted using SPSS for Windows. Binary logistic models were used to test associations between home environmental exposure, building characteristics, life style and the risk of pneumonia infections.
For those factors that reached significance in binary analysis, a multivariate logistic model was applied to calculate adjusted odds ratios for pneumonia infections. Step forward elimination techniques were used in the multivariate logistic regression model.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway