Pneumonia risk factors higher in modern urban apartment
Beijing: A recent study in China has found that the risk factors of pneumonia are still higher in modern cities.
The report, which was a part of the China, Child, Home and Health (CCHH) project, has defied the old belief that the deadly disease is caused by the use of coal or wood as cooking fuel, especially in rural areas.
This study investigated the association between childhood pneumonia and indoor environment factors in modern homes.
It suggests that lack of ventilation, gas as cooking fuel, dampness, new furniture, "modern" floor and wall covering materials showed significant associations with the incidence of pneumonia.
Other factors such as family allergy, childcare by non-parents, and other respiratory diseases were also reported to be associated with pneumonia. In summary, modern life style and home environment play an important role in developing pneumonia infections among children in Nanjing
Total 6461 questionnaires were distributed and 4014 properly filled-out questionnaires were returned, giving a response rate of 65.7%. The response rate was 61.8%, 68.4% and 82.0% for kindergartens in urban, suburban, and industrial areas respectively.
Statistical analysis was conducted using SPSS for Windows. Binary logistic models were used to test associations between home environmental exposure, building characteristics, life style and the risk of pneumonia infections.
For those factors that reached significance in binary analysis, a multivariate logistic model was applied to calculate adjusted odds ratios for pneumonia infections. Step forward elimination techniques were used in the multivariate logistic regression model.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone