Preeclampsia during pregnancy may up kidney failure risk later in life
Washington: A new study has suggested that preeclampsia- a condition in pregnancy characterized by high blood pressure, sometimes with fluid retention and protein excretion in the urine- during pregnancy is a risk factor for developing kidney failure later in life.
Recent data from registry-based studies suggest that preeclampsia may be associated with an increased risk of developing kidney failure, but the magnitude of this link and the contributions of individuals' other medical conditions remain unknown.
To investigate the issue, researchers led by Andrea Kattah, MD (Mayo Clinic) studied 8362 residents of Olmsted County, MN who gave birth between 1976 and 1982. Kidney failure cases were identified by linkage with the United States Renal Data System; each case was matched to two controls.
A total of 20 cases of kidney failure were identified and available for analysis.
"Preeclampsia is associated with a higher odds of end stage renal disease. However, after adjusting for diabetes and hypertension, the association was attenuated and no longer significant," the researchers said.
The study was presented at ASN Kidney Week 2013 at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, GA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what