Preeclampsia during pregnancy may up kidney failure risk later in life
Washington: A new study has suggested that preeclampsia- a condition in pregnancy characterized by high blood pressure, sometimes with fluid retention and protein excretion in the urine- during pregnancy is a risk factor for developing kidney failure later in life.
Recent data from registry-based studies suggest that preeclampsia may be associated with an increased risk of developing kidney failure, but the magnitude of this link and the contributions of individuals' other medical conditions remain unknown.
To investigate the issue, researchers led by Andrea Kattah, MD (Mayo Clinic) studied 8362 residents of Olmsted County, MN who gave birth between 1976 and 1982. Kidney failure cases were identified by linkage with the United States Renal Data System; each case was matched to two controls.
A total of 20 cases of kidney failure were identified and available for analysis.
"Preeclampsia is associated with a higher odds of end stage renal disease. However, after adjusting for diabetes and hypertension, the association was attenuated and no longer significant," the researchers said.
The study was presented at ASN Kidney Week 2013 at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, GA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490