Prostate cancer can damage sex life
London: Around 160,000 men in the UK have been left with little or no sex life after treatment for prostate cancer, a new study has revealed.
The study by the Macmillan Cancer Support charity suggested that rising cancer rates meant cases could double by 2030.
Yet many patients could be helped if more services were available on the NHS, it said.
Erectile dysfunction is a potential side-effect of surgery, radiotherapy and hormone therapy used to treat the condition.
More than 40,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK each year.
In some there may be permanent nerve damage, meaning they cannot maintain an erection.
In others the physical problem can be temporary, while for some the treatment has led to a psychological barrier to sex.
Two in three prostate cancer patients said that they are unable to get an erection.
Macmillan said that men also needed to feel they could seek help when they were having problems with sex after their treatment.
The charity wants to see specialist nurses, better psychological support and physiotherapists more widely available to prostate cancer patients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31