Rejuvenating hormone can reverse heart failure symptoms
Washington: A rejuvenating hormone has been found to reverse symptoms of heart failure in old mice.
A new study has revealed that a blood hormone known as growth differentiation factor 11 (GDF11) declines with age, and old mice injected with this hormone experience a reversal in signs of cardiac aging.
The findings shed light on the underlying causes of age-related heart failure and may offer a much-needed strategy for treating this condition in humans.
"There has been evidence that circulating bloodstream factors exist in mammals that can rejuvenate tissues, but they haven`t been identified. This study found the first factor like this," senior study author Richard Lee of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute and Brigham and Women`s Hospital said.
Heart failure is a condition in which the heart can`t pump enough blood to meet the body`s needs, causing shortness of breath and fatigue, and it is becoming increasingly prevalent in the elderly.
The most common form of age-related heart failure involves thickening of heart muscle tissue. But until now, the molecular causes and potential treatment strategies for this condition have been elusive.
The findings are published in the journal Cell.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India