Repeated stress impairs memory: Study
Washington: In a study conducted on rats, scientists have uncovered a neural mechanism that directly links repeated stress with impaired memory.
The study also provides critical insight into why stress responses can act as a trigger for many mental illnesses.
Stress hormones are known to influence the prefrontal cortex (PFC), a brain region that controls high level “executive” functions such as working memory and decision making.
“Previous work has shown that chronic stress impairs PFC-mediated behaviours, like mental flexibility and attention. However, little is known about the physiological consequences and molecular targets of long-term stress in PFC, especially during the adolescent period when the brain is more sensitive to stressors,” explained Dr. Zhen Yan, from the State University of New York at Buffalo and the author of the study.
Dr. Yan and colleagues examined whether repeated stress had a negative influence on glutamate receptors in juvenile rats.
Glutamate signaling plays a critical role in PFC function.
They found that in response to repeated stress, there was a significant loss of glutamate receptors, which resulted in a deficit of PFC-mediated cognitive processes.
The researchers went on to identify the molecular mechanisms that linked stress with the decrease in glutamate receptors and demonstrated that if they blocked these mechanisms, the stress-induced decrease in both glutamate receptors and recognition memory could be prevented.
Taken together, the findings identify a loss of glutamate receptors as an important target of repeated stress and link chronic stress with abnormal PFC function.
“Since PFC dysfunction has been implicated in various stress-related mental disorders, delineating molecular mechanisms by which stress affects the PFC should be critical for understanding the role of stress in influencing the disease process,” concluded Dr. Yan.
The findings were published by Cell Press in the current issue of the journal Neuron.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing