Researchers develop technology to warn epileptic seizures
Melbourne: Australian scientists have developed a new technology that could warn epileptics of a seizure about to happen.
The latest technology involves surgically-placed electrodes in the brain feeding information to a handheld unit carried by the patient that will alert them to the threat of a seizure, ABC reported today.
The development could one day transform the lives of about 60 million people who have epilepsy worldwide, it said, adding that the test has already been conducted on 15 people.
The head of neurology at St Vincent`s Hospital, Prof Mark Cook, and his research team, said the device has the potential to dramatically improve the lives of the 60 million people around the world living with epilepsy.
The fact that seizures are relatively brief but cause a lot of disruption means that people can`t plan their lives, often it interferes with their abilities to drive and work," Prof Cook said.
"If you could predict when seizures were going to happen, it would improve people`s independence a great deal."
"This device is inserted in between, or electrodes are inserted in between the skull and the brain to continuously record the electrical activity of the brain," Cook said.
The technology has been developed jointly by University of Melbourne and St Vincent`s Hospital and has been funded by US company NeuroVista.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read