SARS-like virus spreads person-to-person: Scientists
London: Health experts in Britain believe the latest human transmission of a SARS-like virus that has infected 11 people worldwide, is the first indication that the respiratory illness can spread from person-to-person.
The country`s Health Protection Agency (HPA) had said that one person who had recently travelled to the Middle East and Pakistan was being treated in an intensive care unit at a Manchester hospital after becoming infected with a new type of coronavirus.
Now officials have confirmed that a relative of the patient, who is also a UK resident, has become infected and is being treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.
The patient is known to have an underlying health condition which may have made him susceptible to the infection.
Cases of the infection may come from contact with animals. However, if the virus can spread between people it poses a much more serious threat.
However, officials here say the threat to the whole population remains very low.
"Confirmed novel coronavirus infection in a person without travel history to the Middle East suggests that person-to-person transmission has occurred, and that it occurred in the UK," John Watson, head of the respiratory diseases department at the HPA said.
"Although this case provides strong evidence for person to person transmission, the risk of infection in most circumstances is still considered to be very low," Watson said.
"This doesn`t raise too many alarm bells. In a family things can spread far more easily than they would spread outside, people share towels and toothbrushes etc. If it was somebody who was not related or a nurse or a doctor that would be a lot more serious," John Oxford, a virology expert at Queen Mary, University of London, added.
Around the world, there have been 11 confirmed cases of the infection, which causes pneumonia and sometimes kidney failure.
The HPA said there have been five cases confirmed in Saudi Arabia resulting in three deaths, while two patients treated in Jordan both died.
A patient from Qatar was treated in Germany but has since been discharged.
Infected patients have complained of serious respiratory illness with fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
The exact source of the new virus and how it spreads is still unknown.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses ranging from the common cold to SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome), which spread through droplets of body fluids produced by sneezing and coughing.
In 2003, an outbreak of SARS killed about 800 people after the virus spread to more than 30 countries around the world.
The new coronavirus was first identified in September last year, in a patient in Saudi Arabia who has since died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues