Scale up efforts to tackle Ebola crisis: IFRC
Geneva: The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) Saturday urged an immediate scale-up of efforts to tackle the Ebola outbreak in West African countries.
As of July 27, the cumulative number of cases attributed to Ebola virus in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria stood at 1,323, including 729 deaths, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
The IFRC said only concerted action from the international community will enable the containment of this deadly virus, Xinhua reported.
However, there is prevalent fear not only within the affected communities, but also within the international community to respond to the situation, which may hinder the rapid control the outbreak.
"The Red Cross or Red Crescent is extremely worried that the situation is spiralling out of control. The response capacity and resources of the government and humanitarian aid agencies in the affected countries are already stretched beyond the limit, and the virus continues to spread, making this the deadliest outbreak of Ebola ever," the IFRC's emergency health coordinator Panu Saaristo said in a statement.
Saaristo stressed the spread of the virus can only be halted with scaled-up support and coordinated action by governments, corporations, donors and aid organisations.
As the Ebola virus disease spreads out of control across some of the poorest countries in West Africa, the IFRC is intensifying its response to the emergency by sending an emergency response unit to Kenema, one of the worst affected areas in Sierra Leone.
On Friday, the WHO and the West African nations affected by the Ebola virus disease announced a joint $100 million response plan to tackle the spread of the deadly disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery