Scientists find crucial gaps in breast cancer research
London: Scientists have discovered key gaps in breast cancer research pertaining to understanding of genetic changes in the development of tumour, a study said.
In an article in BioMed Central's open access journal Breast Cancer Research, leading scientists in the field reported on a gap analysis that critically assessed issues and new challenges emerging from recent breast cancer research, and proposed strategies for translating solutions into practice.
It is estimated that around 570,000 people are living with, or after, a diagnosis of breast cancer in the UK, and this number is expected to double by 2030.
Breast cancer, therefore, remains a significant challenge. Over 100 specialist breast cancer scientists and healthcare professionals reviewed a wide range of issues and challenges involved in breast cancer research, prevention and treatment.
Through facilitated discussions and consultation, including appraisal from experts and patients, they produced an account outlining ten major gaps and five strategic solutions, reports Science Daily.
The key gaps that were identified in the research paper included: an understanding of the genetic and epigenetic changes in normal breast development and during cancer, how to implement sustainable lifestyle changes through diet, exercise and weight management, and an understanding of how to optimise treatment for improved personalised therapy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!