Semen allergies `more common than thought`
New York: Semen allergy can make sex unbearable for about women, who may experience symptoms like swelling, burning and hives.
The problem is estimated to affect about 20,000-40,000 women in the US.
Jonathan Bernstein, MD, an allergy and immunology expert at University of Cincinnati told ABC News that semen allergies also known as Seminal plasma hypersensitivity are "not common like asthma, but more than people realize,” the New York Daily News reported.
This type of allergy is usually treated by identifying which of the proteins in the man`s semen are causing the woman`s allergic reaction, then using a desensitization process to build up tolerance.
According to seminalplasmaallergy.org , a site that is maintained by Bernstein, people suffering from seminal plasma hypersensitivity may experience any or all of the following symptoms up to 60 minutes after intercourse: hives, soft tissue swelling, chest tightness, shortness of breath, wheezing, diarrhea, dizziness or loss of consciousness.
More common causes of skin and tissue irritation from sex include sensitivity to latex in condoms or the chemicals used in spermicides, lubricants or other personal care products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery