Simple ways to tackle seasonal allergies
Washington: One sinus expert at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) said despite a late spring, the summer allergy season will be strong.
To take on the days ahead, Richard Waguespack, M.D., clinical professor and newest addition to the UAB Division of Otolaryngology, said avoidance is the best line of defense.
"When it is reasonable and consistent with your lifestyle, if you have outdoor allergies, you should stay indoors when everything is in bloom," Waguespack advised, adding that checking the pollen counts online before heading out can help with decision-making.
Other ways to battle allergies: Keep windows shut at night, use Non-sedating, over-the-counter (OTC) antihistamines like loratadine, cetirizine, or fexofenadine, a visit to the doctor.
"Visiting your family doctor or an ear, nose and throat specialist when allergies are not readily treated with OTC medications is vital for reduction of symptoms," Waguespack said.
An effective way to deal with a commonly occurring allergy issue - nasal congestion - is an inhaled nasal steroid, something a physician may prescribe when appropriate for the patient. But some symptoms may point to a bigger problem.
"Sometimes a patient can confuse allergies with a sinus infection or upper respiratory infection, which is why it`s so crucial that patients come in for a check-up - so the proper diagnosis and best treatment can be rendered," Waguespack said.
For allergies that will not respond to treatment or occur year round, Waguespack suggested that a patient discuss allergy testing with their physician to determine exact causes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!