Single enzyme triggers diabetes, says study
Washington: A single enzyme promotes the obesity-induced oxidative stress in the pancreatic cells that leads to pre-diabetes and diabetes, researchers have discovered. The drugs that can interfere with this enzyme can prevent or even reversing diabetes.
The enzymatic action by 12-lipoxygenase (12-LO) is the last step in the production of certain small molecules that harm the cell.
“Our research is the first to show that 12-LO in the beta cell is the culprit in the development of pre-diabetes, following high fat diets,” said principal investigator Raghavendra Mirmira from Indiana University's school of medicine, Indianapolis.
For the study, researchers genetically engineered mice that lacked the gene for 12-LO exclusively in their pancreas cells.
Mice were either fed a low-fat or high-fat diet.
Both the control mice and the knockout mice on the high fat diet developed obesity and insulin resistance.
The investigators also examined the pancreatic beta cells of both knockout and control mice.
Those from the knockout mice were intact and healthy while those from the control mice showed oxidative damage, demonstrating that 12-LO and the resulting hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (HETEs) caused the beta cell failure.
HETEs harm the mitochondria, which then fail to produce sufficient energy to enable the pancreatic cells to manufacture the necessary quantities of insulin.
The fatty diet used in the study comprised mostly saturated (bad) fats.
According to Mirmira, the unsaturated and mono-unsaturated fats are unlikely to have the same effects.
The research was published online in the journal Molecular and Cellular Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next