Sleep apnea `may be linked to depression`
Washington: : Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and its other symptoms are associated with probable major depression, regardless of factors like weight, age, sex or race, a new study has claimed.
The study, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, also found that there was no link between depression and snoring.
“Snorting, gasping or stopping breathing while asleep was associated with nearly all depression symptoms, including feeling hopeless and feeling like a failure,” Anne G. Wheaton, lead author of the study, said.
“We expected persons with sleep-disordered breathing to report trouble sleeping or sleeping too much, or feeling tired and having little energy, but not the other symptoms,” she said.
This study is the first nationally representative sampling to examine this relationship, surveying 9,714 American adults.
Previous studies have focused on smaller samples of specific populations, such as people suffering from (OSA), depression or other health conditions.
Wheaton, an epidemiologist with CDC, said the likelihood of depression increased with the reported frequency of snorting and/or instances when breathing stopped in the study.
She suggested screening for these disorders in the presence of the other could help address the high prevalence and underdiagnosis of sleep apnea and depression, especially if sleepiness is a chief complaint.
Snorting, gasping and pauses in breathing during sleep are all signs of OSA, a common form of sleep-disordered breathing.
Six percent of men and 3 percent of women in the study reported having physician-diagnosed sleep apnea. OSA occurs when the muscles relax during sleep, causing soft tissue in the back of the throat to collapse and block the upper airway.
The study will be published in the journal Sleep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users