Soaking up sun may help `treat` asthma
Washington: Scientists have suggested that the amount of time that asthma patients spend in the sun may have an impact on their illness.
A research team at King`s College London said low levels of vitamin D - made by the body in sunlight - has been linked to a worsening of symptoms.
Its latest research shows that the vitamin calms an over-active part of the immune system in asthma.
However, treatment of patients with vitamin D has not yet been tested.
Prof Catherine Hawrylowicz and her group researched the impact that vitamin D has on a chemical in the body, interleukin-17 - a vital part of the immune system, which helps to ward off infections.
But the chemical can cause problems when levels are too high, which has been strongly implicated in asthma.
In the study, levels of interleukin-17 were brought down by vitamin D when it was added to blood samples taken from 28 patients.
The clinical trials are now being conducted by the researchers to see if soaking up the sun can ease the symptoms of the patient.
The study has been published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it