Soon, drug to `switch off` hypertension
Washington: Researchers have designed new compounds that could be the key to controlling hypertension and switching off the signalling pathways that lead to the deadly condition.
The scientists from University of California, San Diego studied the properties of the peptide called catestatin that binds nicotinic acetylcholine receptors found in the nervous system, and developed a pharmacophore model of its active centers.
They next screened a library of compounds for molecules that might match this 3D " fingerprint". The scientists then took their in-silico findings and applied them to lab experiments, uncovering compounds that successfully lowered hypertension.
"This approach demonstrates the effectiveness of rational design of novel drug candidates," lead author Igor F. Tsigelny, a research scientist with the university`s San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC), as well as the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center and the Department of Neurosciences, said.
"Our results suggest that analogs can be designed to match the action of catestatin, which the body uses to regulate blood pressure," Daniel T. O`Connor, a professor at the UC San Diego School of Medicine and senior author of the study, said.
"Those designer analogs could ultimately be used for treatment of hypertension or autonomic dysfunction," he added.
The research may lead to a new class of treatments for hypertension, a disease which affects about 76 million people, or about one in three adults, in the United States, according to the American Heart Association.
Untreated, it damages the blood vessels and is a leading risk factor for kidney failure, heart attack, and stroke.
The study is published online month in Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview